Healthy Meals the whole family will eat!
I have a family of 5, it’s not easy to get everyone at the table eating the same thing, let alone get them to eat healthy! I do not cook a different meal for each family member, I’m no short order cook! I make healthy easy interchangeable meals that we can modify to make everyone happy.
I really enjoy cooking, I’ve worked in restaurants from 14 years old! I had my own catering business at one time and I’ve been cooking for my family for over fourteen years. I’ve developed my own style of intuitive cooking and I rarely will use recipes unless it’s something adventurous that I really want to try. But I tend to stay away because I like to utilize what we have on hand it saves money and time in the long run. I’m all about saving time and money, with three children at all different ages and stages in life, I love to make life as easy as possible. This meal is interchangeable, healthy, easy and everyone likes it.
As a certified Nutrition and Wellness Coach through the Institute of Integrative Nutrition, I teach my clients to build a meal around the easy IIN plate or in the words of Michael Pollan "Eat food, not too much, mostly plants." Probably the first two words are most important. "Eat food" means to eat real food -- vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and, yes sometimes, fish and meat -- and to avoid what Pollan calls "edible food-like substances."
I would also like to add, I do not have a microwave! That means, no more microwave food, we recently downsized into a 1000 square foot home, another topic for another day, but one thing that didn’t make the cut when we started to minimize was the microwave. I just felt it was the next step in the right direction for health for my family. It was challenging for about a week, but now I don't even notice it's gone!
Alright enough background!
How do I make this Delish Dish?
Organic Sweet Potatoes
Organic Corn on the Cob
one or two Organic Apples
Pink Himalayan Salt
Organic Italian dressing
*I use shortcuts a lot when I cook to save me time and energy and one shortcut is, sometimes I mix EVOO & Italian dressing to cook my chicken. It's easy and it gives the chicken great flavor everyone loves!
- First thing I do is coat the pan in the mix of EVOO & italian dressing. I then add the organic chicken breast and I sprinkle them with salt. Cover and let cook on Med/High.
- Peel and chop Sweet Potatoes and boil them until soft.
- Toss the Corn into boiling water.
- Flip the chicken breast.
- Let everything cook while you prepare the simple salad. *I leave my salads undressed so everyone can choose their own dressings.
- Check the chicken if they are cooked through it's time to add the apple. Cut the apple into slices and add them to the pan. Drizzle the Local honey on top of each breast of chicken. Cover and reduce the heat to low.
- Drain the SP and add butter, honey, and pink salt to taste, mash until smooth.
- That's it! Super easy, healthy meal you can feed the whole family!
The plate pictured was mine
Chris's plate did not include corn, but he added extra sweet potatoes.
Corrina's plate looked like mine but she added her fav, honey mustard on her salad.
Oliver's plate did not include salad but he had extra apples
Levon (the baby) had chicken, apples, & sweet potatoes chopped fine and served in different form. ;) he also enjoyed a few bites of corn on the cob! He has 12 teeth already!!